My mom has made these every year at Christmas for as long as I can remember. So now we make them at Christmastime. Doesn’t get much simpler – or tastier!
McSkimming recipe from Scotland:
- 1/2 lb. of room temp butter
- 1/2 C packed brown sugar
- 1&1/2 to 2 cups sifted flour
- Mix sugar and butter by hand until sugar seems pretty much desolved….it never desolves completely.
- Gradually add all purpose flour by handful until nice rolling consistency. Use 1&1/2 and then put some on rolling board to make up the rest. It will be VERY sticky and you need the extra flour to keep it from sticking to everything-including you. Dough will be soft.
- Put on rolling board and kneed with heel of hand 15-20 times.
- Shape into circle about 3/4″ thick.
- Cut into diagonal diamonds.
- Gather up the rest of the dough and keep repeating until used up.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet 1″ apart.
- Prick with fork clear to the bottom of cookies three times so they’ll cook evenly.
- Cook somewhere between 250 to 300 degrees, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on your oven.
They’ll still be soft when you take them out of the oven but will crisp up after and hour or so.
Don’t let them get brown and it’s even better if you can cool on pan.