This is hands down the best french toast I have ever tasted. It has a nice toasty feel on the outside, but the inside melts in your mouth. I add an extra bit of honey to my batter- just a dab! This is Alton Brown’s recipe- I think he has perfected it!
- 1 cup half & half
- 3 large eggs
- 2 T honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
- 1/4 t salt
- 8 slices of stale bread (brioche or challah work best)
- 4 T butter
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together half & half, eggs honey and salt.
- Dip each piece of bread into the mixture, soaking for 30 seconds on each side, and then remove to a cooling rack that is placed in a sheet pan. Allow to sit for a minute or two.
- Over medium-low heat, melt 1 T of butter in a nonstick saute pan. Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and cook until golden brown, approx. 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place, on the cooling rack. Once all slices are done, place in the oven for 5 minutes. Serve immediately with favorite toppings. (I prefer pumpkin butter, blueberries and whipped cream.)