from Ray’s Boathouse Cookbook
2-3 quarts canola oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut (I used sweetened, and was great)
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
24 prawns (16-20 per pound), tail on
- Set up a deep fryer and heat oil to 300 degrees farenheit.
- Set up 3 bowls. In the first bowl, combine four and salt. In the second bowl, combine milk, flour, eggs, salt and curry powder to make a batter. In the third bowl, combine flaked coconut and panko.
- Holding the tail, dredge each prawn in the seasoned flour and gently shake off excess. Then, dip prawn in batter. Third, toss prawn in coconut mixture to coat completely and pat gently to press mixture into batter.
- Deep-fry immediately until golden, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer prawns to a plate lined with a papet towel to drain. Serve warm with Sesame Plum Sauce.
- Serve with a sweet thai chili sauce. Serves 6-8, as an appetizer.